Tuesday 4 November 2008

Love is...

Something quite complex obviously. Something that my adolescent brain can't fully comprehend yet. There's platonic love which encompasses the affection you feel for family and close friends. And then there's the so called "romantic" love. Two distinct things you would say. But isn't romantic love just platonic love, mixed with a good dose of lust and a desire for exclusivity?

I can't exactly say that my experiences on this subject are extensive. One of my best friends, Lief, who is even more of a hopeless romantic than I am, and who is currently embroiled in the horrors of the HSC. When he comes out of that, he'll be embroiled in taking the love of his life (or at least this year), to the formal. Unfortunately, she already has a boyfriend. This is where the problematic desire for exclusivity cancels out the platonic love. Which is stupid.

Maybe, if you loved someone enough, it would give you the strength to ignore the fact that they don't love you back, and that they're happier that way. And that's what's best for them.

I nearly convinced myself I was in love this year. Technically, it was an infatuation. I think I was just looking for excuses to act, talk and think silly. Because, in a sense, being in love is exciting. It can be painful, but that's what adds the fun. Maybe. I'm obviously highly masochistic and I enjoy putting myself through emotional trauma. Not.

I've actually noticed a trend. Not a year has gone past since I've started highschool - heck it even goes back to 2nd grade - that I haven't entertained notions of romance with someone. And now that I've noticed that, it was quite easy to get over

No comments: