Friday 27 March 2009

Hey, it's ok to lie to avoid hurting someone's feelings right?

I'm not going to see 1.5 spot, because I can't be bothered. Sure I feel guilty about declining one of the parts, and sure I feel guilty that I'm not more involved in the club. That doesn't make me anymore inclined to make plans to go see it. So I'm going to lie and say that I was busy. It's not so bad, because I don't know the people in the drama club that well.

And also, one of my new psych buddies at uni is having relationship problems. It wasn't my place to ask, but I did. And there's so many problems I don't even know where to begin to help her out.

I figure she's a girl, so she'll be needed some kind of emotional reassurance. She wants someone to tell her it'll all be ok, and that it will all work out. So I did.

I lied. Most highschool relationships don't survive the transition to uni. This also includes friendships. Most long-distance relationships don't work out. Most people realise that they don't actually know their partner that well after the initial flood of hormones goes away.

Statistically, her relationship is destined to fail. I could work out the probability of it happening.

Friendships don't really last into uni either. It's either a success (π) or fail (1-π). The success rate is approximately 2/15. The Bernoulli distribution indicates that in general, there's a right skew, i.e. you lose most of your friends. I actually punched this into Excel, and that's what I got.

It's kind of sad really.

We tell each other lies everyday. It gives us hope and happiness. Without happiness we are depressed. Without either happiness nor hope, we are suicidal. Hence we tell each other lies to keep each other alive.

But hey, that's ok. Because in the long run, surviving is all that matters.

3 comments:

Crushed said...

The short answer; yes, it is.

Her relationship will almost certainly fizzle out, that's life.

You did the right thing.

divine.iniquity said...

Yes I agree too, but I suppose it wasn't your place to truly predict the outcome (there is a chance no matter how slim) but instead you did what you felt was best at the time; and sadly you are right that lies can make things better.

Though I do wonder; this all falls under the "white lie" concept, one part of what my e-mail alias is trying to understand; does lying (a sin) become justifiable if its for a "good" intention?

gnataes said...

crushed: thanks, I hope so

DI: I didn't actually predict what would happen in the long run. It's just the probability is stacked against her. But yeah, she's ok now.

The "white lie" thing has murky ethics. While it's bad to lie, sometimes it's also bad to be honest, because what you honestly think might hurt someone else. Which you shouldn't do too much when living in a society. Apparently. In the end, if you're doing things that a technically wrong, but for good reasons it's up to you to decide whether it's right or wrong I guess.