Tuesday 6 January 2009

I am a sell out.

This time last year, I was heatedly arguing with my dad about how people who put Medicine as their first choice, and Law as their second were complete an utter money-grubbing, soulless, spineless children who were control either by their parents, or by their desire for power and money. Because surely, someone who truly wanted to do Medicine would be altruistic and interested in Science. Whereas, a Lawyer, would be interested in upholding Justice, but not necessarily for altruistic reasons, and would be more interested in the Arts. Two completely different subjects right? So if you were truly interested in one, you couldn't be interested in both.

I was wrong.

Medicine appeals to me because since year 10, I've wanted to be a psychiatrist.

Law appeals to me because since year 9, I've wanted to be a criminal psychologist.

I don't actually care about how much money I make. I don't care about how my parents will be able to boast about how they have a Doctor/Lawyer in the family.

I'm thinking that those two course will interest me intellectually, and I will enjoy the career that comes out of the degree.

But since I completely dismissed people who put those down as preferences one after the other, I am a hypocrite.

On a slightly related note:

I have 27 hours and 16 minutes to change my preferences.

Gah.

2 comments:

Crushed said...

I did English Lit because...

One didn't have to turn up, just read the texts :)

gnataes said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, where I live that isn't going to get me the job I want, or the paycheque I want. >__<