Friday 2 April 2010

High Heels: The Modern Day Equivalent of Foot Binding.



I was talking to Bob the other day about how high heels were a symbol of how ingrained patriarchy was. How else could you explain why women willingly inflict pain (and future permanent physiological damage) upon themselves in order to appear more attractive? The reasons for wearing highheels are similar to the reasons for foot binding: they make your feet look smaller, they limit your gait, and they emphasise the movement of your legs/hips/thighs: all of which are meant to make you appear more erotic.

Not to mention that wearing some high heels hurts like hell. Foot binding hurt horrendously too.

I argued that heels made you taller. Bob said that height is a positive construct created by men, and men on average are taller than women.

I didn't really have anything to say to that.

But if women want to suffer for fashion and appearance, then we oughta let 'em right?

I think I'll avoid wearing heels where possible. I can move my hips without them, and I've accepted the fact that I'm never going to be tall so what's the point?

On another quasi-feminist tangent: LADY GAGA TOMORROW. I am excitement.

Man people have such negative attitudes towards her. Who cares if she may or may not be a hermaphrodite? Who cares if she knows and embraces her sexuality?

I read somewhere that Lady Gaga exploits sex appeal to sell records. WHATEVER MANG. The only reason why sex sells is because people can't have it. According to the Christians, Jews, Muslims, Asians, the Capitalists and you get the point.

Her music is good. It's gone back to what pop music should be, just awesome tunes and no super deep meanings.

No comments: