Friday 16 April 2010

Okay, I'm not that stupid.

So I keep thinking about what my boss said. She told me that I should keep my co-workers at an arms distance. She meant literally... bringing up the no-touching-rule and all. I've chosen to accept that in its figurative sense. It's quite logical not to invest emotionally into any co-worker, particularly as most of us are busy uni students. We don't see anyone in particular regularly, and out schedules are rarely stable.

You have to do what you have to in order to show that you're friendly. Sure that might mean having a nice conversation during your coffee break, or going for lunch together.

You just have to make sure at the same time that you're not willing to go beyond the usual "How are you, how was your weekend" kind of deal. So if their wife dies you express your sadness for them, but don't offer to be there emotionally for them when you should be working. Cold? A little perhaps, but if their wife died should they really be at work?

Point is: yes boss, I am aware that you are advising me to be somewhat distant to a certain co-worker. Thank you for the advice that getting involved with him would be a bad idea in the long run. I am aware of all this, and you talking about it with me is just so very, very awkward.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing wrong with having split personality disorder. As long as the coworker understands knows that.

gnataes said...

It's kinda like being in class again. When you're working on a 4u problem you don't exactly have time to chit chat, you save that for recess and lunch. I think most people would understand that