Sunday 25 April 2010

*mind blown*

Devil's Advocate: BIGGEST MIND FUCK EVER

"I haven't been fucked like that since grade school" - Marla: Fight Club

The overall tone of the film was apocalyptic, dissonant and grey like a winter's day. The issues within the film made for difficult watching, and yet at the same time it was dangerously seductive, hypnotic and compelling.

After watching it I fell into the foetal position, cried and went into an angst coma. I exaggerate, but the film did affect me immensely. There are many reason why I think it did.

As a law student, I feel that I am becoming increasingly amoral. The protagonist's descent into amorality leads to the destruction of his world and of the person he loves the most. Also in this film, lust and pride were the two main 'sins' that led the protagonist to his downfall struck a chord. We all have a self-preserving bias, and we all want to be wanted and loved.

Maybe I was worried by this film because I internalised the fact that being a law student, having a fairly positive view of myself, and wanting to be loved was going to send me to hell or would result in the birth of the Anti-christ.

Maybe I'm just being silly. Maybe I'm thinking too much. I don't know.

Edit: some epic quotes from the Devil himself... er I mean Al Pacino, playing the Devil:

"Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!

You sharpen the human appetite to the point where it can split atoms with its desire; you build egos the size of cathedrals; fiber-optically connect the world to every eager impulse; grease even the dullest dreams with these dollar-green, gold-plated fantasies, until every human becomes an aspiring emperor, becomes his own God... and where can you go from there?

I'm here on the ground with my nose in it since the whole thing began. I've nurtured every sensation man's been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist."

My world feels so off centre right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dang, should've done that one :D