Tuesday 16 February 2010

Mentoring!

Today I got to meet the 5 first year students I'll be mentoring for the year. Woohoo! 4 girls (just graduated from highschool), one guy (who graduated in 'o8 like us second years... and he's been working for the past year).

Pretty cool bunch. a couple sing/dance/act/play an instrument (or some combination of the above). One guy has a last fm account xD so I'll add as soon as I can get facebook to work. And we'll meet up for coffee next week, and next year we'll be friends for ever and ever.

No, I'm kidding. I'll stick around as long as they need me/can cope with my craziness >_>

During the introductory speeches we did impromptu skits. I was the "annoying girl with the mobile phone" a.k.a. "Urine sample girl" Got the idea from the Chasers: below.



*phone rings* (from across the room, someone yells SHUT UP!)
Me: Hello, I called you earlier? Yeah you know the urine sample I was supposed to give you? I keep missing the cup. I put it in a bottle *pulls out bottle of berocca*. Is that ok? Alright I'll be there in a sec. Bye" *exit stage left*

Yeah... FUN!

Then I picked out my mentees, and took them to a classroom to drug them... er I mean get to know them. I got them to imagine that they were shipwrecked for a day... and pulled out a roll of toilet paper.

They had to take as much paper as they thought they'd need. I took about twenty sheets (just to set an example). The catch to this game is that for every square of toilet paper you took, you had to tell the group a fact about yourself. That was fun, and very educating =D

I took them on a tour of the uni, then we had lunch.

Then after that I went to dance practice... which was fail.

TL;DR: Mentoring: WIN. Dancing: FAIL.

No comments: