Friday 26 December 2008

WTF is Christmas.

So apparently, it's Jesus' birthday. Jesus is a pretty cool guy, you know what with the turning water into wine, walking on said water, raising the dead, healing the sick, coming back from the dead amd what not. So yeah, Christmas is a pretty important day right? It's understandable to celebrate His birth yeah?

Unfortunately, for someone who doesn't particularly believe in a god, Christmas doesn't really have a meaning, aside from the fact that I get a free holiday where people all around me throw parties that either I'm not invited to, or that I am invited to, but to which I can't go.

Christmas makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm supposed to get presents for people, based on some tradition based off of a person that may or may not exist. Then I receive gifts that I'm supposed to like. Then I'm supposed to be happy about the fact that I'm celebrating some dead guy's birthday, without the help of alcohol, because alcohol gives me an allergic reaction.

Then I get messages from people wishing me a Merry Christmas, who normally wouldn't give a shit about me on any other day. Then I'm supposed to turn right back and wish them a happy holiday, and pretend to give a shit about them too.

Seems extremely pointless. Maybe other atheists feel like this too. Which is why it's probably tempting for them to join a church so they can join in the community spirit around Christmas time. But that pretty much makes them hypocrites.

Maybe religion acts as a kind of buffer to life's disappointments. Had a shit life? God planned it that way to make you the person you are. Someone you love died? God wanted his lamb back. Got a crap UAI? God planned that too. All those hours you spend playing DOTA had absolutely nothing to do with that. Predestination. You can take comfort in the fact that someone bigger than you is guiding your life while you yourself have no fucking idea why you live on this shithole called earth, why every day inflicts some kind of suffering upon you, and why you still push on despite said shittiness.

I guess believing in a god gives you someone to talk to when you're lonely and in need of solace. I mean, He's always listening, and as a plus He loves you unconditionally right?

It's kind of funny how some of my Christian friends believe in both Predestination and Free will. Because if you think about it, converting to Christianity requires Free will right? God created man with Free will. However, everything is predestined, so you converting to Christianity was already planned. But this negates the whole Free will thing.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to imply is that some people convert to Christianity because they feel cold and alone on Christmas, and they want to feel like they belong somewhere. That may or may not be a bad thing.

I myself do not feel cold or alone enough to want to do that. But it is tempting. But, surprisingly, I do have my morals, and I try not to do hypocritical things. But I do feel pretty crap right now.

4 comments:

Crushed said...

I have to see, i'm catholic and I did go to Mass last night.

But I don't believe in the nativity or any of that. In fact, I don't actually believe Christ was literally the son of God.

And no, I don't much care for Christmas.
I think it's a nasty festival of consumer greed.

gnataes said...

I don't think that Jesus was born on the 25th of December. I think it was just convenient for them to mix the midwinter's festival with Christmas, and Eostre celebrations with Easter.

I don't think there is any historical evidence, besides the bible, that proves there was a nativity.

And I definitely agree that Christmas is a horrible sacrifice to the gods of consumerism.

divine.iniquity said...

mmm well said. Jesus wasn't born on the 25th of December and certainly not on the year 0000. Can't quite remember where I read it or exactly what it was I read but I read that Jesus was born sometime like I think around September and October and about a decade or so BC, something like that.

Interesting that you've read about Predestination; I only learned stuff about it this year. Oh btw for us Anglicans we believe Christmas is just a sign that points to Jesus; there is no historical significance of "Christmas". But yeah that stuff about free will and predestination; I asked the same question you asked like a few weeks ago, I got an answer from Kenny but it was too confusing >.<" need more research.

But yeah hope your Christmas holiday wasn't a total drag, a moment of peace is still good ^^

And thanks for commenting on my blog xDD really appreciate it!

gnataes said...

I haven't read much on Predestination, but I do hear a lot of people referring to it.

Actual Christmas was only bad because I was alone with my family, but it was okay once I started calling people again

And no problem about the comments. I just thought it was polite to alert you to my presence.